U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 13-06 1939 to 1967
Activities Including The First C.G. Aux Underwater Rescue (Top Right)
Flotilla 13-06 Safety Patrols & Public Education Class
The U.S. Coast Guard, one of the oldest agencies of the Government, exemplifies the history and time honored traditions of our republic. Down through the years since its inception in 1789 the Coast Guard carried on its duties thoroughly and effectively. By 1939, however, new problems and added responsibilities began to burden the service and threatened to reduce its effectiveness. Thus, in May 1939 a bill to establish a Coast Guard Reserve, composed of owners of motorboats and yachts, was submitted to Congress.
The bill became law and in June of 1939 some 40 members of the South Shore Yacht Club Freeport NY were sworn into the newly formed Flotilla 13-06.
Dedicated to the safety of life at sea and upon navigable waters, the members of Flotilla 13-06 promoted efficiency in the operation of motorboats and yachts through a wider public knowledge of the rules of the road and the laws governing them.
The Flotilla continued to meet at the South Shore Yacht Club through 1941 while taking part in Coast Guard training exercises aimed at preventing infiltration of our South Shore area by an enemy.
During those uneasy pre-war years the operational area assigned to 13-06 encompassed the South Shore of Long Island from the N.Y. City line to Babylon and the membership had grown to over four hundred. This enormous area and large membership proved to much for any one flotilla to maintain, consequently several new flotillas were formed from this group and operational areas reduced thus creating greater liaison and concentration of effort.
Early in 1942 the thousands of young men joining the Coast Guard to defend our Country became known as the Coast Guard Reserve and the members of 13-06 remaining at home were sworn in as the temporary reserve. Their boats were assigned to the government for the duration and all members were issued uniforms and assigned to offshore sub-marine patrols and search and rescue operations. In addition to sea patrols, the members were issued weapons and spent many lonely hours patrolling the beaches and manning life boat stations. All of this while maintaining civilian positions aiding the war effort.
On June 30th, 1945 the temporary reserve was disbanded and life returned to a form of post war normalcy.
Early in 1946 the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary was formed from the members of the temporary reserve.
The years following saw the introduction of the Public Education Classes and a greater concentration on teaching the boat owner how to prevent accidents.
The Coast Guard came to depend on 13-06 in time of emergency because of the willingness of its members to make themselves and their boats available at any time.
On two separate occasions in 1962, members of 13-06 had the sad duty to aid searches for missing boats and a man overboard only to fight the wintry weather and rough water to retrieve the deceased.
In 1963 the final concentration of the operational area was performed with the formation of another new Flotilla from the members of 13-06 in the Massapequa area.
February 1965 will long be remembered by those members who distinguished themselves by risking their lives in the attempt to save the passengers of an airliner that crashed in the ocean 10 miles south of Jones Beach. Truly a night of Men and Wind and Sea. It was a grisly heartbreaking task carried on while the entire country awaited the outcome. The gratitude of Auxiliarists everywhere went with the Citations presented by the Commandant of the Coast Guard to those members participating.
July 1965 saw members of 13-06 rescuing a father and son from their burning cruiser in Zach's Bay.
The year 1966 proved to be the most successful year, in terms of Operations, Public Education and Motorboat Examinations, that Flotilla 1306 has ever enjoyed.
It was a year in which, 523 boatmen and women enrolled in course held by the flotilla in Freeport and Seaford; in high schools, grammar schools and during Safe Boating Week, right on the docks of Woodcleft Canal.
It was a year, in which, 635 motorboats were inspected by the membership, resulting in the attainment of 185% of the Flotilla goal.
1966 was a year, which once again, placed Flotilla 13-06 on The Directors Honor Roll of the 3rd Coast Guard District, for achievement of all the goals set down by Base Governors Island.
For the first time in the 27-year history of the Flotilla, the Highest Award for Achievement within the XIIIth Division was presented to 13-06 at ceremonies held in Freeport.
On 117 separate occasions the men and boats of 13-06 performed safety and support patrols on the waters of Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin and the Jones Beach areas.
It was on just such a patrol that there occurred: Rescues, safety patrols, assisting disabled boats, as well as assisting Regular Coast Guard at regattas and races, public education, boat inspections, and extensive public relations in reference to safety at sea, are the history of Flotilla 13-06.
Courtesy Motor Boat Examination by 13-06 Officers (Center Left)
Past Flotilla Commanders and Members of Flotilla 13-06
Group Commanders Award for Outstanding Overall Performance
1943 Auxiliary Assists with Fighter Planes making forced landings in Long Island Waters
Plane Down Procedure - 1 Get The Pilot, 2 Mark The Spot, 3 Report The Crash, 4 Attempt A Tow
U.S. Coast Guard Station Short Beach (Currently Known as Station Jones Beach), Station Atlantic Beach (No Longer in Service), Governors Island, and Flotilla 13-06 Patches